Richard has over 20 years’ experience acting for clients in the construction industry, providing pragmatic advice to developers, contractors, sub-contractors, design and construction professionals, housing associations, smaller builders and homeowners.
He advises clients on all aspects of the construction process including:
- Advising on / drafting construction contracts, letters of appointment warranties and associated documents
- Advising clients on matters as they arise during a contract and how to manage those issues.
- Acting for clients to pursue/defend claims for payment, extensions of time, liquidated and other damages, loss and expense, defective and incomplete work, unlawful termination and professional negligence
- Acting for homeowners and builders in domestic construction disputes
- Representing clients in adjudication proceedings, arbitration and court proceedings
- Resolving disputes using alternative forms of dispute resolution such as mediation, expert determination and early neutral evaluation.
His style and approach with clients is to listen and learn what outcomes they want to achieve, look at the facts to analyse if and how those outcomes can be achieved and then develop and implement a strategy that seeks to deliver those outcomes. When doing so, he provides objective practical advice as to the likely outcomes so decisions can be made by the client in their best overall interests.
Richard is Chairman of the Property Development Quarterly (PDQ) networking group that holds events to examine the development plans, opportunities and issues affecting growth in the Cambridge-Milton Keynes-Oxford corridor. He regularly writes articles on topical issues in the construction industry.
Legal 500/Chambers & Partners
Legal 500 UK 2016: “Geoffrey Leaver Solicitors LLP’s ‘excellent’ team is led by Richard Millard, who regularly acts in adjudications and advises on draft contracts for professional appointments.”
Chambers & Partners 2013: Clients recognise “his sound advice and considerable experience in contract law.”
Outside of work Richard enjoys spending time with his wife and daughter, cooking, watching most sports (especially football and cricket), film, theatre and travel. He qualified as a PADI Open Water diver some years ago and looks forward to getting back into scuba-diving.
Accreditations & Memberships