When a person is unable to manage their own affairs due to mental incapacity and they have not made any legal provisions for somebody else to look after their affairs in the form of an Enduring Power of Attorney or a Lasting Power of Attorney, another person called a Deputy can be appointed to deal with their affairs on their behalf.

Where a person is incapable of managing their own affairs and they have assets which need to be safeguarded for their own benefit, such as savings or a property, an application needs to be made to the Court of Protection to appoint somebody to act as a Deputy. Usually, the proposed Deputy is a relative of the person or someone who has knowledge of their affairs.

A professional can also act as a Deputy. At Geoffrey Leaver we have specialist solicitors who act as Deputies for clients.

Deputyship applications can be costly, confusing and upsetting but at Geoffrey Leaver, our experienced and expert Solicitors can offer guidance and advice through the application process, being appointed and managing the person’s affairs.

For more information please email Dagmara Kulczykowska or Jennifer Macdonald or call us on 01908 689317.