Here are a few tips on how to get started:
- Be clear on what you want from the role and what it will bring to the business.
- Decide how much you will pay and whether on an hourly or salaried basis. Pay must be above the national minimum wage of £6.50 for over 21 year olds.
- Plan a recruitment and interview process.
- Check that the successful applicant has the legal right to work in the UK.
- Arrange Employer’s Liability Insurance to cover employees if they are injured or become ill because of something they do at work.
- Plan how to pay – free payroll software is available for businesses with less than 10 employees – see www.gov.uk/basic-paye-tools
- Register with HMRC as a new employer see – www.gov.uk/register-employer
- Give the new employee a written statement of particulars (contract of employment)
The Employment Law Team at Geoffrey Leaver appreciate that it can be daunting taking on employees and therefore we offer businesses an Employee Starter Package for £500 plus vat which includes:
- Up to 1 hour meeting to discuss employment plans and business needs
- Drafting contract to comply with UK recruitment legislation AND to protect the business
- Template employment letters including offer letter and reference
- Staff Handbook to include basic policies including disciplinary and grievance procedures to get the business started
For more information on recruitment law call Paula Stuart on 01908 689345 or email firstname.lastname@example.org