The Employment Team at Geoffrey Leaver appreciate that absence in the workplace is a cost to the business – both in time and money.
Here are a few tips on how to address the issue:
- Identify the type of absence – is it short term, long term or some other absence – e.g. time off for dependants?
- Check to see if the company has a sick leave/pay policy and if so follow this.
- Monitor all absence and consider introducing a ‘trigger’ for an informal chat.
- Review employee’s contractual entitlement to sick pay – SSP only payable from day 4 of absence – no entitlement to be paid for first 3 days off.
- Ensure reporting requirements are followed – return to work form/interview after every absence.
- Seek comprehensive information – symptoms, treatment and medication.
- Consider referral to Occupational Health or obtaining a medical report.
- Makes employees aware that they will always have to explain any absence.
- Identify if this is a conduct or capability issue – if considering disciplinary action then seek expert advice.
- Be aware that a person suffering from a disability has the right not to be treated less favourably as a result of their disability and also an employer has a duty to make reasonable adjustments.
If you are unsure how to handle an absent employee then give the Employment Team a call. We can provide expert advice to ensure that you deal with matter proactively and fairly. We understand that costs can be a concern so are happy to agree fixed costs in advance to give you peace of mind.