Our Specialist Lawyers
Trevor started his career in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe as prosecution counsel, then stipendiary magistrate before moving to London to work for Kingsley Napley, Eurolex (Thomson), Shoosmiths and Dentons.
Trevor specialises in the closely connected fields of commercial litigation, partner/director disputes, insolvency, property litigation, and professional negligence. His background is one of broad experience across a wide range of commercial litigation. He is a member of Legal Counsel International, an alliance of lawyers in 17 countries.
Recent international work has included managing cross-border litigation in Singapore and New Zealand, and handling litigation in London for Channel Island clients and for US based companies. In acting for UK clients he has recently resolved many disputes by obtaining judgment or at mediation.
- Chamber & Partners 2018: Trevor Coward is well versed in commercial litigation matters, such as directors and partnership disputes, insolvency, professional negligence and property litigation.
- Chamber & Partners 2017: Trevor Coward attracts strong praise from clients. “He has really thrown himself into it. He is also extremely commercially minded,” a client reports. Another source adds: “He is tough and creative and always a gentleman.”
- Chamber & Partners 2016 describe him as a notable practitioner and clients describe him as“balanced and objective,” noting that “he takes on board his client’s needs and acts accordingly.”
- He has been described in Legal 500 UK as “exceptional.”; “combining in-depth knowledge with very proactive and practical advice”; “superb”; “totally committed to obtaining the best possible result”, and “efficient and commercial”.
Guy has more than 30 years’ experience in the legal profession and headed up the Commercial Litigation department of local firm Fennemores, before joining Geoffrey Leaver as joint head of the Dispute Resolution department in 2006.
The Dispute Resolution department have been recognised by Legal 500 UK – “Dispute resolution is a core focus for Geoffrey Leaver Solicitors LLP, reflected in a partner-driven team led by Kenneth Stangoe, and including Guy Brooks, Mairead McErlean, and the highly experienced Trevor Coward. In 2014, the firm represented a broad range of local, national and international clients.”
He has represented a range of businesses, from small firms to large corporations, banks and public bodies, in cases involving arguments over contracts, technology, shareholder and partnership disputes, debt and insolvency, professional negligence by solicitors and other advisers (including financial mis-selling and negligent investment advice) and intellectual property.
Guy has a reputation as a tough negotiator and regularly contributes to legal journals and publications. He is accredited by CEDR (the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution) as a mediator and also a member of the Professional Negligence Lawyers Association.
Ken is Head of the Dispute Resolution Department. His team have been recognised by Legal 500 UK – “Dispute resolution is a core focus for Geoffrey Leaver Solicitors LLP, reflected in a partner-driven team led by Kenneth Stangoe, and including Guy Brooks, Mairead McErlean, and the highly experienced Trevor Coward“. The firm represents a broad range of local, national and international clients.
He is a commercial litigator with a heavy focus on property disputes.
Often described by clients as tenacious and highly effective, he is recognised by Chambers and Partners 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 law guide as ‘a leader in his field‘ and “attracts high praise for his client service skills”. Kenneth Stangoe of Geoffrey Leaver Solicitors has recently worked on matters pertaining to agricultural and development sites. Clients state that he is “focused, knowledgeable, strategic and practical.”
He is a member of the Property Litigation Association.
Away from work, he enjoys a variety of sports and outdoor pursuits.
Richard is a Partner with over 18 years’ experience acting for clients in commercial disputes and construction related matters.
He is head of the construction team, which advises clients on matters ranging from those acquiring and selling property for development to those who are building or contracting out the building of commercial or residential units. He is often instructed by specialist sub-contractors and members of ‘the professional team’.
He and his team advise clients on all aspects of the construction process. He specifically advises on:
- Drafting of the terms of the contract, warranties, deeds of appointment, performance bonds and parent company guarantees and associated documentation;
- Matters as they arise during a contract relevant to a specific project. This involves looking at the scenario that has arisen, advising on the contractual and/or other obligations and looking at practical solutions to resolve the issue where possible in order to avoid or minimise the financial and time consequences the issue or dispute might cause;
- Dispute Resolution where an amicable resolution to an issue cannot be found and the matter needs to be referred to adjudication, mediation, arbitration or litigation;
Legal 500 UK 2016: “Geoffrey Leaver Solicitors LLP’s ‘excellent’ team is led by Richard Millard, who regularly acts in adjudications and advises on draft contracts for professional appointments.”
Legal 500 UK 2015: “Richard acted for a major developer and contractor clients in high-value procurement and sub-contracting disputes.”
Chambers & Partners 2014: Clients have praised him for his “efficiency and ability to understand the brief from very early on.”
Chambers & Partners 2013: “Clients recognise his ‘sound advice and considerable experience in contract law”.
His style and approach with clients is to listen and learn what outcomes they want to achieve, look at the facts to analyse if and how those outcomes can be achieved and then develop and implement a strategy that seeks to deliver those outcomes. When doing so, he provides objective advice as to the likely outcomes so decisions can be made by the client in the best interests of their business.
Mairead has experience in dealing with various types of disputes including building claims, shareholder and partnership problems, breach of contract claims, contentious/non-contentious enfranchisement and matters involving local authorities.
Mairead is part of the Dispute Resolution department who have been recognised by Legal 500 UK – “Dispute resolution is a core focus for Geoffrey Leaver Solicitors LLP, reflected in a partner-driven team led by Kenneth Stangoe, and including Guy Brooks, Mairead McErlean, and the highly experienced Trevor Coward. In 2014, the firm represented a broad range of local, national and international clients.”
She has acted in several multi-million pound claims for a wide variety of clients. She has also been listed in the 2014 Legal 500 rankings. She is ‘outstanding’ and provides ‘clear and concise advice’ for her clients.
Away from the office, Mairead is a keen horse rider. She was trying to learn to play golf but has realised that Mark Twain was right when he described it as “a good walk ruined.”